Next to oxygen, water is the most essential element human needs. In fact, no human being can survive more than a week without water. This is because water has a key for each cell and organ system in the human body to function adequately.
Why water is essential?
Water makes up more than two third of the weight of the human body and brain is composed of 75% water, blood is 83% water, bones are made of 22% water, muscles are made of 75% water, and lungs are made of 90% water. Water is important as:
- helps eliminate waste products accumulated in the body through the kidneys.
- regulates body temperature.
- works as a lubricant by forming fluids surrounding the joints and bones.
- prevents and relieves constipation by moving food particles through the intestines and disposal of waste products through the kidneys.
- helps the body absorb nutrients.
- plays a key role in regulating the body’s metabolism.
- form of saliva that is very necessary for proper digestion.
- helps carry nutrients and oxygen to all body cells and facilitates all chemical processes that occur in the body.
- It can also help control weight as drinking water can prevent overeating.
- helps maintain muscle tone and help reduce fatigue and muscle pain during exercise.
- also it helps to keep the skin in good condition and keep it free of wrinkles and other signs of anti-aging.
Less water consumption means more health problems
also plays a key role in the prevention of various diseases such as colon cancer, bladder cancer, and indigestion and so on.
When the body does not get enough water, then it can cause various health problems. For example, it can cause dehydration, daytime fatigue, excessive thirst, momentary memory loss, and nausea.
How much water your body needs?
When water intake in not enough, you can become dehydrated. The body loses water through sweat, waste disposal, and other functions. The lost water must be replaced by drinking more water. Your body requires a lot of water every day and that is why health experts recommend drinking eight to ten glasses of water a day. This is a minimum requirement, but those who do vigorous exercise or play sports, spend too much time in the sun or suffering from health problems should drink more water. This is a minimum requirement, but those who do vigorous exercise or play sports, spend too much time in the sun or suffering from health problems should drink more water. When water intake is not equal to its output, you can become dehydrated. fluid losses are accentuated in warmer climates, during strenuous exercise in high altitudes, and in older adults, whose sense of thirst may not be as sharp.Here are six reasons to make sure you’re drinking enough water or other fluids every day:
- Drinking water helps maintain the balance of body fluids.
Your body is composed of approximately 60% water. The functions of these bodily fluids include digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva , transport nutrients , and maintenance of body temperature .
“Through the posterior pituitary gland, its brain communicates with its kidney and says that the amount of water to excrete urine or cling to reservations “says Guest, who is also an adjunct professor of medicine at Stanford University.
When you’re low on fluids, brain thirst mechanism triggers the body. And unless you are taking drugs that make you thirsty, says guest, you must listen to those signals and a glass of water, juice, milk, coffee is achieved -. Nothing but alcohol
“Alcohol interferes with brain and communication kidney and causes excess excretion of fluids which can lead to dehydration ” he says.
- Water can help control calories .
For years, people have been drinking a lot of water as a weight loss strategy. While water has no magical effect on weight loss, substituting high calorie beverages can certainly help.
“What works with weight loss is if you choose water or non-caloric drink during a caloric drink and / or eat a diet high in water-rich foods that are healthier, more filling, and help you cut your calorie intake.
Foods with high water content tends to look bigger, its highest volume requires more chewing and is absorbed more slowly by the body, which helps you feel full . the water-rich foods include fruits, vegetables, soups, broth-based, oats and beans.
- water helps Energize muscles.
cells that do not maintain your fluid balance and electrolytes wilting, which can result in muscle fatigue . “When muscle cells do not have enough fluids, not lose effectiveness and performance can suffer, “says Guest.
Drinking enough fluids is important when exercise . Follow the American College of Sports Medicine fluid intake before and during physical activity . These guidelines recommend that people drink about 17 ounces of fluid about two hours before exercise. During exercise, recommend that people start drinking fluids early, and drink at regular intervals to replace fluids lost by sweating .
- Water helps keep skin Good .
Your skin contains a lot of water, and functions as a protective barrier to prevent excessive loss of fluid. But wait not exceed hydration to clear wrinkles or lines, says Atlanta dermatologist Kenneth Ellner, MD.
can also help “lock” the moisture in the skin by using moisturizer, which creates a physical barrier to keep moisture.
- Help Water your kidneys .
body fluids transport waste products in and out of cells. The main toxin in the body is blood urea nitrogen a water-soluble loss is able to pass through the kidneys to be excreted in the urine, explains Guest. “The kidneys do an amazing job of cleaning and rid your body of toxins, as long as fluid intake is adequate,” which says.When you are getting enough fluids, urine flows freely, is light in color and free odor. When your body is not getting enough fluids, urine concentration, color, smell and increases because the kidneys trap extra fluid for bodily functions.
If you drink too little chronic, which may be at increased risk of kidney stones , especially in warm weather, warns visitors.
- Water helps maintain normal bowel function .
Adequate hydration keeps things flowing along your gastrointestinal tract and prevents constipation . When not enough fluid is obtained, the colon causes water stool to maintain hydration -. And the result is constipation
“adequate fluid and fiber is the perfect combination as it pumps the liquid from the fiber and acts as a broom to keep your bowels functioning properly,” he says Koelemay.
Tips for drinking more water:
You may need to modify water intake based on your activity level , climate, how healthy you are and so on. When the body does not get enough water, then it can cause various health problems. For example, it can cause dehydration, daytime fatigue, excessive thirst, nausea and
If you think you need to be drinking more, here are some tips to increase your water intake :.
- Start your day by drinking 1-2 glasses of water every morning.
- drink a glass of water with each meal and between each meal.
- bring a bottle of water with you when you need to go outside for a longer period of time.
- Drinking water before you feel thirsty to avoid actual mild dehydration.
- Drink a few glasses of water before exercise and drink several ounces of water frequently during your workout.
- drink water before, during and after exercise and during this time the body loses more water.
- Drink pure water; tap water or bottled water is fine.
- Along with water you should also eat foods that have high water content. foodstuffs high water content will add to the hydration.
- Avoid fruit and vegetable juices that are high in sugar.
- Any kind of drinks that have artificial sweeteners should be avoided.
- Caffeinated drinks have a diuretic effect and so for every cup of coffee, need to consume an additional cup of tap water to counteract this effect.
- limit consumption of alcohol, as it can cause dehydration.
- Choose drinks that you like and this way, it will probably take more fluids if you like the way they taste.
To conclude, without water, it can not survive for more than a few days. Therefore, be sure to drink some enough to enjoy a better and healthier living water.