Dry mouth can make the soft tissues of our mouth more susceptible to infection (Representative Image) | & nbspPhoto Credit: & nbspGetty Images
New Delhi: Dry mouth, also known as xerostomia, is a condition that causes the mouth to dry and occurs when the mouth does not produce enough saliva, so it cannot keep the mouth moist. In other words, the glands that produce saliva do not work well. Dry mouth makes us feel uncomfortable as it creates a sticky sensation in the mouth and can also cause other diseases such as tooth decay and gum disease. It can occur due to a reduction in saliva flow.
Causes of dry mouth:
- Anxiety and stress
- Increased smoking
- Breathing through our mouth
- Cancer treatment
- Certain medications such as antidepressants.
- Stuffy nose
- The pregnancy
- Thick saliva
- Cracked lips
- Gum disease
Symptoms of dry mouth
Dry mouth is accompanied by a series of symptoms. Some of them have enlisted below:
- Difficulty swallowing, talking
- Bad breath
- Sensation of dry mouth.
- Sore throat
- Change flavor
- Being thirsty frequently
- Dryness and burning in the mouth and tongue.
Home remedies for dry mouth
Some of the home remedies to treat dry mouth are:
Ginger: Ginger contains gingerol, which is a bioactive compound and stimulates the production of saliva. Drinking a cup of ginger tea or chewing ginger every day can help cure dry mouth.
Aloe Vera Juice: Drinking aloe vera juice protects the sensitive tissue of the mouth and is also very beneficial for oral health.
Lemon: Lemon not only treats bad breath but also stimulates the production of saliva. Drinking lemon juice along with honey every morning can help clean our mouth.
Fennel seeds: In addition to improving the taste of our mouth due to its aromatic nature, fennel seeds also stimulate the production of saliva. Therefore, eating fennel seeds after each meal can help keep your mouth clean and fresh for long hours.
Apple cider vinegar: Known for its antibacterial and antioxidant properties, it is an effective remedy for dry mouth. Adding apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drinking it daily can relieve the symptoms of dry mouth.
Vaseline: The application of petroleum jelly in the gums seals moisture.
Cardamom: Chewing cardamom daily may be beneficial. You can also consume cardamom tea for it.
Cayenne pepper: It is one of the best remedies for dry mouth. It also helps us distinguish between sweet, sour and salty flavors. Although you may experience a burning sensation, it is an effective remedy for dry mouth.
Dry mouth prevention.
- Drink plenty of water since dehydration is the main cause of dry mouth and people who suffer from dry mouth should stay hydrated, therefore they should drink at least eight glasses of water.
- Chew sugar-free gum, especially citrus or cinnamon flavors, as they can help in the production of saliva.
- Avoid excessive consumption of caffeine, as it has a drying effect inside the mouth and drinks containing caffeine can often cause dehydration.
- Limit the use of mouthwash.
- Reducing or quitting smoking can help, since smoking increases dry mouth problems.
- Try to breathe through the nose.
- Avoid soft drinks.
- Avoid dry foods such as bread, pastry and eat a diet rich in protein.
- Using humidifier can also help.
- Avoid medications that lead to dry mouth.
- Brush and floss your mouth after each meal.
Dry mouth can affect our oral health and can also make us uncomfortable. Dry mouth can make the soft tissue of our mouth more susceptible to infection. Dry mouth can often cause tooth decay, oral health problems and fungal infection in the mouth and there is a greater chance that we will develop mouth sores. Therefore, prevention is better than cure.
Disclaimer: The advice and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or professional health care provider if you have any specific questions about any medical matter.