By Gaurav Bansal General Surgery
Many people who are recovering from back surgery tend to suffer from constipation. The condition leads to considerable pain and discomfort. Although it is not included in the recovery process, constipation, along with their adverse side effects, it can be a major challenge during the period of recovery from a back injury.
Constipation is caused due to a number of factors that are associated with back surgery. This includes stress, anesthesia, using pain medication to deal with back surgery, dietary changes and decreased activity.
Therefore, some easy ways to address constipation constipation following listed below:
- Physical activity should be increased as much as possible after surgery. An excellent suggestion would walk or run, as it would help normalize bodily functions.
- The use of narcotic medications should be minimized.
- Use of laxatives or stool softeners fiber after surgery so the risk of constipation are reduced.
- Try to drink as much water and other liquids without caffeine, as possible. Apple cider and prune juice are excellent examples of natural laxatives.
- Try to eat foods that are high in fiber, as it helps the proper functioning of the intestines and bowel. Examples of high-fiber foods include whole grains, beans, bran cereals, fruits such as grapes, watermelon, etc., and vegetables like carrots and lettuce.
- Eating foods that lead to constipation, such as meat, cheese and processed foods should be limited.
- Instead of large meals, small meals should be eaten for the digestive process is able to function more efficiently.
Apart from the forms set out above, taking drugs not prescribed as bowel stimulants or suppositories (devices that can be inserted into the rectum) after surgery helps in the treatment of constipation.