Acne can dent your self-confidence and affect the way others see you. But there are ways you can combat the problem with some simple home remedies.
You are out on a date, wearing your best dress and a million dollar smile, but all your partner can see are the scores of acne on your face! Very soon, you begin to feel insecure about yourself, wondering if your date thinks you are ugly. You shuffle home miserably, resolving to see a skin doctor.
There are no quick fixes for acne. It is a condition that is caused by a variety of factors such as hormonal changes, improper diet, unhealthy skin, lack of cleansing, stress, poor digestion, etc. The problem is compounded by oily skin, which provides a fertile ground for more acne to spring up on the skin.
Check out these simple home cures to get rid of your acne:
- Drink water. Acne is caused by dry and stressed skin, so the first thing you have to do is tank up on plenty of water throughout the day. Stay away from tea, coffee, alcohol and cigarettes till your acne is under control, because these substances will exacerbate the condition. Instead, opt for green or white tea, coconut water, buttermilk, fresh fruit and vegetable juices (not sweetened) and other fluids so that your skin is hydrated constantly.
- Sandalwood paste helps. You can make your own beauty cream using sandalwood paste and a pinch of turmeric. Grate a stick of sandalwood in a few drops of milk, and then add the turmeric to it before applying evenly all over the face. Let it dry for 30 minutes before you wash it off with cold water. If you can’t procure these materials, look for beauty creams containing essence of sandalwood and turmeric, set in an aqua base.
- Rose water miracles. Rose water is a wonderful ingredient to fight acne. It dries out acne and moisturises the skin. Rub a cotton ball soaked in rose water all over the affected area, then rinse off after 30 minutes. Alternately, pound rose petals in milk and apply the mash all over the face. Let the mash dry completely before you rinse it off.
- The cold treatment. A simple remedy is to rub an ice cube all over the face before bedtime. The cold ice cube will calm the acne and inflamed skin and soothe it. It will also close the enlarged pores so that excess oil is not secreted by the skin. For better results, fill your ice tray with fresh orange juice or rose water cubes, and rub these cubes over the acne-ridden area. Do not wash; rinse your face the next morning.
- Vitamins to the rescue. Vitamin C and E promote healthy skin. Crush or pound one tablet each of Vitamin C and Vitamin E in a pestle, and add half a teaspoon of milk or water. Apply the paste on the face and wash off when completely dry.