getting outdoors can be a pleasant experience, but not when rubbed against poison ivy, poison oak or poison sumac. Exposure to the sap of these plants can lead to rashes, itching and even blisters, avoiding contact is your best defense.
The first step to protect against poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac is learning appearance of these plants. “Leaves of three, who are” is an easy way to find and keep away from poison ivy and poison oak, although not 100 percent reliable. Sumac, on the other hand, comes in groups of seven to 13 leaflets.
If you are going to areas where they grow these plants, either for leisure or work, be sure to wear long-sleeved shirt, tucked into socks and gloves pants. If you use garden tools, make sure they are clean.
If pets have ventured into wooded areas with this type of plant, put on rubber gloves and wash your pet thoroughly. Although your pet may not develop a reaction, the poisonous urushiol oil can stick to your skin, causing a reaction in you.
If contact some of these plants, wash the skin with soap with cold water as soon as possible.
If symptoms are present, avoid itching as bacteria under the fingernails can lead to infection. Itching can be relieved with cool, wet compresses and over-the-counter ointments or oral medication prescribed.
If a fever occurs, rash or blisters extend, or pus begins to form, consult your doctor immediately. Your must also make an appointment with your doctor if the rash does not improve within a few weeks
Also, read the Bel Marra Health article :. poison ivy rash affects some people more because of poor handling
share this information
-> Facebook Comments