speak with a certified “dietitian” and could go with the idea that nutrition is a whole area of science and finished. To hear them tell the story, you might think that everything has been discovered. No surprises, no new discoveries.
Of course, that’s how most conventional doctors and researchers seek in the world. As you know everything there is to know.
The truth is that nutrition is a new science.
and new discoveries are made all the time.
Some findings link us back to our native environment and show us what our real needs, and how nature designed us. Other findings give us new options to overcome the challenges of living in a modern, toxic world.
Like the emerging science behind a “new” category of fats.
If you’re a regular reader, you know I’m a strong advocate of omega-3. Recipients of these essential fatty acids found in all cells of the body. They are so critical for heart and who could not survive without them.
But there is a newly discovered class of omega fatty acids that have unique powers of their own.
are called omega-7.
For the record, omega-7 have been known in small circles of academia, but most are neighbors and ignored.
However, recently found type omega-7 fatty is being hailed as a potential treatment for metabolic syndrome, a condition that leads to diabetes.
palmitoleic acid is so unique and important, the Harvard Medical School has applied for a patent for it. 1
Here is why.
Omega-7 DOY a new tool for
set your metabolism Broken
Even a small amount of this fatty acid omega-7 gives your body the ability to improve their response to insulin, to resist the formation of new fat cells and to use energy more efficiently.
And the main benefits of omega-7s all serve to reverse the metabolic syndrome and reduce the risk of obesity and heart disease.
Generally, omega-7s general fatty acids:
- reduce blood sugar and improve insulin resistance.
- limit the production and accumulation of new fat cells.
- Reduce appetite and combat obesity.
- burn relieve inflammation that drives the metabolic syndrome.
In one study, researchers found that mice with type 2 diabetes had all their symptoms reversed when the omega-7 palmitoleic acid is administered. 2
And aside from its ability to combat the formation of new fat cells, palmitoleic acid quiets your appetite, and allows you to eat less.
Another study found that palmitoleic acid increases hormones that create a feeling of fullness, or satiety. 3 At the same time, the number of “hunger hormones” help you eat less without feeling like you’re having to sacrifice or give up something is reduced. 4
How Omega-7 get in your diet?
But here’s the problem. Both options also contain palmitic acid, which is a thick oil, palm sticky. And palmitic acid tends to nullify many of the advantages omega-7.
For now, your best option is to take a supplement of purified palmitoleic acid. Search one containing about 50% of palmitoleic acid with palmitic acid levels below about 1%.
‘ll be saying more about omega-7 in the future, and let you know the results of my own research, I look for new sources and new ways to get this unique fat omega working for you.
To your good health,
Al Sears, MD, CNS
1.Cao H, G Hotamisligil, the inventors; President and Fellows of Harvard Cambridge, MA, assignee Fatty acid C16: .. 1N7-Palmitoleate one lipokine and biomarker for metabolic status 1 September 2011.
2. Yang ZH, Miyahara M, Hatanaka A. Chronic administration of palmitoleic acid reduces insulin resistance and hepatic lipid accumulation in KK-Ay mice with type 2 diabetes genetics. Lipids Health Dis . 2011; 10: 120.
3. Yang ZH, Takeo J, M. Katayama Oral administration of palmitoleic acid omega-7 induces satiety and the release of hormones related to appetite in male rats. Appetite. inhibition of secretion of postprandial gastric ghrelin by the long chain fatty acid through GPR120 in cells isolated gastric ghrelin and mice. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Physiol 2012 Aug 1; 303 (3): G367-76 ..