Many foods have been touted as healthy when they are not more harmful than junk foods. In the featured article, clean dishes 1 founder Jared Koch shared his list of nine staple foods are much less “good for you” what they have been led to believe.
In this case, I extend the selections mentioned in the main article.
1. canned tomatoes
Many leading brands of canned foods contain BPA – a toxic chemical linked to reproductive disorders, neurological effects, increased risk of breast and prostate cancer, diabetes, heart disease and other serious health problems. According to Consumer Reports ‘evidence just a couple of servings of canned food may exceed safety limits for daily BPA exposure for children.
High acidity – a prominent feature of tomatoes – causes BPA to leach into your food. To avoid this dangerous chemical, avoid canned foods entirely and stick to fresh fruits and vegetables, or switch to brands that use glass containers in place, especially for acidic foods such as tomatoes.
2. Processed meats
As Koch, processed meats such as salami, ham, roast beef and are typically made with meat from animals raised on operations confined animal feeding (CAFO) warns.
This means that given growth hormones, antibiotics and other veterinary drugs, and raised in deplorable conditions that promote disease, these meats are also full of sodium nitrite (a preservative commonly used and the antimicrobial agent that also adds color and flavor) and other flavorings and chemical dyes.
Nitrites can be converted into nitrosamines in your body, which are potent cancer-causing chemicals. Research has linked nitrites to higher rates of colorectal cancer, stomach and pancreatic cancer. But that is not all.
- heterocyclic amines (HCAs) that are dangerous compounds created in meat and other foods that have been cooked at high temperatures. According to research, processed meats are clearly associated with an increased risk of stomach cancers, colon and breast.
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) : Many processed meats are smoked as part of the curing process, which makes the HAP to form. PAHs can also form when the grill. When fat drips onto the heat source, causing excessive smoke and smoke around your food, carcinogenic PAH can be transferred to the meat.
- advanced glycation end products (AGE) : When food is cooked at high temperatures, even when moving pasteurized or sterilized, AGE formation in foods is increased. AGEs accumulate in your body over time leads to oxidative stress, inflammation and an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes and kidney disease.
The truth is that processed meats are not a healthy choice for anyone and should be completely avoided according to a 2011 review of more than 7,000 clinical studies examining the relationship between diet and cancer. The report was commissioned by the World Cancer Research Fund 2 (WCRF) using the money from the general public. Thus the results were not influenced by vested interests, which makes it even more reliable.
is the most important opinion of tests ever undertaken, and confirms previous findings: Processed meats increase the risk of cancer, especially bowel cancer, and no amount of processed meat is that you are much better leaving the “safe “. cold cuts and instead opting for organically raised fresh wild grass-fed meats, or caught salmon.
The unfortunate result of the madness of the low-fat diet has been the flight from healthy fats like butter, and public health has declined as a result of this madness. There are a variety of unhealthy for margarine and other butter impostors, including components:
- Trans fats: These unnatural fats margarine, shortening and spreads are formed during the hydrogenation process which converts liquid vegetable oils into a solid fat. Trans fats contribute to heart disease, cancer, bone problems, hormonal imbalance and skin disease; infertility, difficulties in pregnancy and breastfeeding problems; and low birth weight, growth problems and learning problems in children. A panel of US government scientists determined that artificial trans fats are unsafe at any level.
- Free radicals: Free radicals and other toxic degradation products are the result of high temperature industrial processing of vegetable oils. Contribute to numerous health problems, including cancer and heart disease.
- emulsifiers and preservatives: Numerous additives of questionable safety are added to margarines and spreads. Most shortening is stabilized with preservatives such as BHT.
- hexane or other solvents :. is used in the extraction process, these industrial chemicals may have toxic effects
Good-fashioned butter when from grass-fed cows, is rich in a substance called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) . Much of the reason why is vilified butter is because it contains saturated fat. If you are still in the mindset that saturated fat is bad for your health, then read the section Healthy fats my Plan optimized Nutrition to learn why fat saturated is really good for you.
4. Vegetable oils
Of all the destructive foods available to us, those made with oils vegetable hot are some of the worst. Make no mistake about it, vegetable oils are not health food has been led to believe they were. This is due largely to the fact that they are highly processed, and when consumed in large quantities, as they are for most Americans, which seriously distort the important omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Ideally, this ratio is 1 :. 1
Anytime you can cook a food, the risk of creating damage induced by heat runs. You decide cooking oils must be stable enough to withstand the chemical changes when heated to high temperatures, or risk damaging your health runs. One of the ways vegetable oils can inflict damage is by converting your good cholesterol in the she-oxidizing bad cholesterol. When cooking with polyunsaturated vegetable oils (such as canola, corn and soybean oils), oxidized cholesterol is introduced into the system.
As the oil is heated and mixed with oxygen, rancidity. Rancid oil is oxidized oil and should not be consumed-that leads directly to vascular disease. Trans fats are introduced when these oils are hydrogenated, which increases the risk of chronic diseases such as breast cancer and heart disease.
What is the best oil for cooking?
Of all the available oils, coconut oil is the oil of choice for cooking, as it is almost a completely saturated fat, which means it is much less susceptible to heat damage. And coconut oil is one of the most unique and beneficial to the body fats. For more detailed information about the many benefits of coconut oil, see this special report . Olive oil, but certainly a healthy oil, is easily damaged by heat and reserves for cold drizzle over salad.
5. Microwave popcorn
perfluoroalkyl, including perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) are chemicals used to prevent grease from seeping through the fast food wrappers are being ingested by people through their food and appear as contaminants in blood. bags of microwave popcorn are full of PFOA, and when they heated the compound leached popcorn.
These chemicals are part of an expanding group of chemicals commonly known as Chemical “sex change” because they can disrupt the endocrine system and affect your sex hormones. The EPA has ruled PFC as “probable carcinogens” and said that PFOA Researchers have also linked several PFC to a number of other health hazards, such as “poses risks development and reproduction of human beings.”
- infertility – A study published in the journal Human Reproduction 3 found that both PFOA and PFOS (sulfonate perfluorooctane), dramatically increased the chances of infertility. PFOA was associated with a 60 to 154 percent in the risk of infertility.
- Thyroid disease – A 2010 study 4 found that PFOA can damage your thyroid function . Individuals with the highest concentrations of PFOA were more than twice as likely to current thyroid disease compared with those with the lowest concentrations of PFOA. The thyroid contains thyroglobulin protein that binds to iodine to form hormones, which in turn influence essentially every organ, tissue and cell in your body. It is also required that thyroid for growth and development of children hormones. thyroid disease, if untreated, can lead to heart disease, infertility, muscle weakness and osteoporosis.
- Cancer – PFOA has been associated with tumors in at least four different organs in animal tests (liver, pancreas, testes, and mammary glands in rats), and has associated with increases in prostate cancer among workers in PFOA plant.
- immune system problems – Several studies by scientists in Sweden indicate that PFCs have an adverse effect on your immune system. As described in a report on the PFC by the Environmental Working Group (EWG), PFOA has been found to decrease all studied subpopulations of immune cells in the thymus and spleen, and caused immunosuppression.
- Increased levels of LDL – A 2010 study in Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine 5 found children and adolescents with the highest PFOA levels had higher levels of total cholesterol and LDL or “bad” cholesterol, while PFOS was associated with increased total cholesterol, including both LDL and HDL cholesterol or “good”.
I strongly recommend avoiding any product that you know that contain these toxic compounds, including nonstick cookware, but also food sold in food packaging greaseproof, such as fast food and microwave popcorn. Clearly, if you are eating fast food or junk food, PFCs envelope may be the least of your problems, but I think it is still important to realize that not only are not getting the proper nutrition of food in yes, wrappers can also add to your toxic load.
6. Non-organic potatoes and other fresh produce known for its high contamination of pesticides
Your best bet is to buy only organic fruits and vegetables, such as synthetic agricultural chemicals are not permissible under the USDA organic standards. That said, not all conventionally grown fruits and vegetables are subjected to the same amount of pesticide load. While Koch focuses on potatoes, as they tend to occupy a large amount of pesticides and other agrochemicals in the soil, I recommend reviewing the “Buyer of pesticides in products Guide” 6 by the Environmental Working Group.
Of the 48 different categories of fruits and vegetables tested by the EWG for the guidance of 2013, the following 15 fruits and vegetables had the higher pesticide load, becoming the most important to buy or grow organically:
In contrast, it was found that the following foods to be under load residual pesticides, so the safest bet among the vegetables grown conventionally. Note that a small amount of sweet corn and most of the Hawaiian papaya, although low in pesticides, are genetically modified (GM). If you are not sure whether or papaya sweet corn is GE, recommend choose organic varieties:
|Melon||Sweet corn (non-GMO)||Eggplant|
|Fungi||Onions||papayas (non-GMO. Most Hawaiian papaya is OGM)|
|Pineapple||Sweet peas (frozen)||sweet potato is|
7. Table salt
Sal is essential for life, can not live without it. However, ‘table salt’ regulate and salt found in processed foods are not identical to salt your body really needs. In fact, table salt has virtually nothing in common with natural salt. One of them is harmful to health, and the other is healing.
- processed salt is 98 percent sodium chloride, and the remaining two percent comprising artificial chemicals such as moisture absorbents, and some iodine added. These are dangerous chemicals such as ferrocyanide and aluminosilicate. Some European countries, where water fluoridation is not practiced, also add fluoride to table salt
- Natural salt is sodium chloride about 84 percent. The remaining 16 percent of natural salt is composed of other naturally occurring minerals, including minerals such as silicon, phosphorus and vanadium
Given that the salt is absolutely essential for good health, I recommend switching to a pure salt, unrefined. My favorite is an old salt, natural Himalayan sea. Himalayan Salt is completely pure, after spending many thousands of years maturing under extreme tectonic pressure, far from impurities, so it is not contaminated with heavy metals and industrial toxins today. And it is hand-drawn, hand wash and minimally processed. Himalayan salt is sodium chloride only 85 percent, the remaining 15 percent contains 84 trace minerals from our prehistoric seas. Unrefined natural salt is important for many biological processes, including:
- Being an important component of amniotic your blood plasma, lymph fluid, extracellular fluid, and even liquid
- Carrying nutrients in and out of cells
- To maintain and regulate blood pressure
- The increase of glial cells in the brain, which are responsible for creative thinking and long term planning
- help your brain communicate with muscles, so it can pass through a request for exchange of sodium and potassium ions
While natural unprocessed salt has many health benefits, it does not mean that should be used with impunity. Another important factor is the ratio of potassium to sodium in your diet. The imbalance in this relationship can not only lead to hypertension (high blood pressure) and other health problems, including heart disease, decreased memory, erectile dysfunction and more. The easiest way to avoid this imbalance is avoiding processed foods, which are notoriously low in potassium, while high in sodium. Instead, eat a diet of whole foods, ideally grown organically to ensure optimal nutrient content. This type of diet naturally provide much larger amounts of potassium relative to sodium.
8. The isolated soy protein and other non-fermented soy
Unfortunately, most of what you have been led to believe by the media about soy is simply untrue. One of the worst problems with soy comes from the fact that 90 to 95 percent of soybeans grown in the US You are genetically engineered (GE), and these are used to create isolate soy protein . the genetically modified soybeans are designed to be “Roundup Ready”, which means they are designed to withstand otherwise lethal doses of herbicide.
The active ingredient in Roundup herbicide called glyphosate, which is responsible for breaking the delicate hormonal balance of the female reproductive cycle. What’s more, glyphosate is toxic to the placenta, which is responsible for the delivery of vital nutrients from mother to child, and the elimination of waste products. Once the placenta has been damaged or destroyed, the result can be miscarriage. In children born to mothers who have been exposed to even a small amount of glyphosate, serious birth defects can result.
glyphosate damage mechanism was only recently identified, and shows how this chemical alters cell function and induce many of our modern diseases, including autism. Soy protein can be found in protein bars, meal replacement shakes, bottled fruit drinks, soups and sauces, meat analogs, baked goods, breakfast cereals and some dietary supplements.
Even if you are not a vegetarian and does not use soy milk or tofu, it is important to be a serious labels reader. There are so many different names for different soy additives, could be taking home a product based genetically modified soya without even realizing it. Soy expert Dr. Daniel Kaayla offers a free special report 7 “where are but I can not,” on its website. It lists the many “alias” that soy might be hidden under the lists of ingredients -. Words like “caldo”, “natural flavor” and “textured vegetable protein”
Apart from isolated soy protein, soy unfermented all products are best avoided if you value your health. Thousands of studies have linked the non-fermented soy to malnutrition, digestive disorders, immune system breakdown, thyroid dysfunction, cognitive decline, reproductive disorders and infertility, including cancer and heart disease.
The only soy health benefits is organic soybean that has been properly fermented and these are the only soy products that I recommend consuming. After a long fermentation process, the “anti-nutrients” soy and reduced phytate levels and its beneficial properties are available for your digestive system. For more information, see this previous article detailing dangers of unfermented soy .
9. Artificial sweeteners
Contrary to popular belief, studies have found that artificial sweeteners like aspartame can stimulate appetite, increase carbohydrate cravings, and stimulate fat storage and weight gain. In one of the latest of these studies 8 found that saccharin and aspartame cause greater weight gain than sugar .
Aspartame is perhaps one of the most problematic. It consists mainly of aspartic acid and phenylalanine. Phenylalanine has been synthetically modified to carry a methyl group, which provides most of the sweetness. That link phenylalanine methyl ester methyl called, is very weak, allowing the methyl group in phenylalanine to easily break and form methanol.
You may have heard the claim that aspartame is harmless because methanol is also found in fruits and vegetables. However, in fruits and vegetables, methanol is firmly attached to the pectin allowing him to pass safely through your digestive tract. Not so with the methanol created by aspartame; there is not attached to anything that can help rid your body.
methanol acts as a Trojan horse; It was performed on the sensitive tissues in the body such as the brain and bone marrow, where the enzyme (ADH) alcohol dehydrogenase converts to formaldehyde, which wreaks havoc with sensitive proteins and DNA. All animals except humans have a protection mechanism that allows methanol breaks down into harmless formic acid. This is why animal toxicology test is an imperfect model. It is not fully applicable to people.
Guidelines for Healthy Eating
Any food you are looking to eat, whether organic or locally grown, either from your local supermarket or farmers market, the following are the signs of a high quality, healthy food. Very often, the best place to find these foods is a sustainable agricultural group in your area . You can also check my Free nutrition plan to start work on a healthy eating program today:
- is grown without pesticides and chemical fertilizers (organic foods fit this description, but so do some non-organic foods)
- is not genetic engineering
- contains no added growth hormones, antibiotics or other drugs
- contains nothing artificial, nor any preservatives
- is cool (if you have to choose between the wilted or fresh organic produce conventional products, it may still be the best option, since freshness is important for optimal nutrient content)
- shall not be raised in a factory farm
- is grown with the laws of nature in mind (ie animals feed their native diets, not a mixture of grains and by-products of animal origin, and have access outdoor poultry)
- is grown sustainably (use of minimal amounts of water, protect the soil from the burn, and convert animal waste into natural fertilizers instead of environmental pollutants)