I was trying to use bean sprouts in our diet a few times a week to save on budget-fed meat. I was not impressed with canned refried beans ingredients more, so I decided to figure out how to make my own.
My recipe is quite large. Maybe half if desired. But freezes very well, and does a quick flip out and lunch with a dollop of sour cream and some fruit and vegetables. ! Or a quick flip of the addition of the freezer in taco night buy me a bag of dry bulk pinto beans in our health food store – usually a little over a pound, and the use of the whole thing. 5 pints of refried beans ago and lasts me a month or 2!
Print refried beans germinated Author: Renee – www.raisinggenerationnourished.com ingredients
- 7 cups gushed cooked pintos (a little more than a pound of cooked dry beans before)
- ⅓ cup fat to use for cooking (butter, lard, coconut oil)
- 3 small / medium chopped onion
- 9 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cumin TB
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk or coconut milk added to creaminess to the preference
- in a large pot, saute onion in fat to use for a few minutes with a pinch of salt to bring out the juices and sweeten.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add beans and seasonings and mix together.
- Add the milk and bring to a low simmer for about 10 minutes or so until the milk is soaked in and everything is creamy.
- Use a potato masher to crush the beans and immersion blender to press up, or you can mix completely smooth in a blender.
- My girls and I love this simply with a little sour cream, but can also be used as an extension bean in a sandwich or wrap, or stirred into a soup to make it creamy.
- pack warm in the thermos school and put a face raw grated cheese or sour cream in a separate bowl!
- here is how to sprout their pinto beans – is easy! You will benefit beans have more capable of absorbing-vitamins and also digested much better (IE – you will not be gaseous).
- between 12-18 months of age I started my girls with the likes of sprouted grains and loved it. Keep in mind the grains should not be introduced until after 1 year of age
- I love my potato masher , but I use my mixer immersion times and pulse until – is so fast and easy!
- I use pint freezer containers for storing leftovers. You can do individual containers that serve if that makes it easier to pull out for lunch boxes or work. Although I’m thinking when you reach the point of packing lunches for 3 of my daughters, I just want to dump a large bowl in the pot to heat up in the morning and then spread in a thermos …? Let me know what you do!