Mass marijuana overdose in California is latest in worrisome trend of children poisoned

jellybeans at the birthday party of a teenager is being blamed for sending 19 people, most of them teenagers and children in the hospital during the weekend in San Francisco, in what appears to be an overdose of marijuana mass.

Clinicians reported symptoms such as dizziness, confusion, and dilated in patients who consumed contaminated probably gummies with THC, the psychoactive component of marijuana. Most patients were 18 years old or younger. The youngest: 6.

poisoning of children accidental ingestion of marijuana is increasing in the United States, particularly when the drug is legal, according to a study published in JAMA Pediatrics , which analyzes marijuana poisoning in children Colorado in relation to the rest of the country. Since 2009, poison centers in the United States outside of Colorado have seen an annual increase of 19 percent average in pediatric poisonings of marijuana; the increase was 34 percent in Colorado, which legalized recreational marijuana in 2014.

The article continues after the announcement

In California, where the birthday party was held, the marijuana is legal only with a prescription for medical use . The authorities do not yet know where the sweet wine suspicious and are still awaiting lab results confirming containing THC, the Associated Press. However, some of those attending the sick party did test positive for the chemical.

in absolute figures, incidents of poisoning marijuana in children remain relatively low – less than 300 incidents were reported in the control centers of poisoning Colorado and hospitals in a period of seven years. Still, the preventable exposure is sufficient to refer to state lawmakers. as animals, people, or fruit – – In 2015, a law that requires childproof packaging for marijuana products and last month candies marijuana banned in approved ways. That might be more likely to attract children

Children and adolescents are particularly vulnerable to effects of marijuana , which may have implications for the long-term development, according to surgeon General’s warning. THC dose can vary widely in edible marijuana products, which can make even more dangerous form accidental consumption.

All patients had been discharged from hospital on Monday morning. The Department of Public Health continues to test all food consumed at the party until the source of the disease is confirmed.

Add a Comment

==[Click 2x to Close X]==
Most Popular Today!

Sorry. No data so far.