Quick preface! I’m not a doctor and do not pretend to be one! If you have a child with very heavy breathing or really struggling with a cough, which should be seeking medical assistance through ER or your doctor’s office. There is definitely a time and place for both! This is my own experience using onion poultice with my girls for chest colds and can use the method at its own discretion. Product links are affiliate links. It costs you nothing and helps maintain free information on this site and answer the questions of “what brand you use?” Please, you know I never personally recommend any product would not use in my own family – which is related here is exactly what I use.
I’m not sure it’s much more than a means of panicking after night call from a seal barking cough your child.
The first time that happened to me as a mother, my older daughter was about 3 and terrified out of me! I remembered reading that cold air helped them relieve cough down so my husband carried out on a blanket on the front step of our house snow, and in seconds your cough quieted.
learned fast that really is not fun to have a sick kid and started studying tried and true natural ways to help children overcome illness. How old is that many simple and natural remedies that our grandparents probably used are very effective, and onion poultice for chest congestion is one of them.
The combination of warm, moist onion poultice with quality natural expectorant onion helps break congestion. My experience with this in my girls has been very successful and within a good 10 minutes to use the package you are able to cough more freely and easily to drop everything and get him.
So we agreed this thing onion poultice is great … but getting a 3-year agreement that is large onion poultice may be complicated – much less one! sick 3 years Here are some ways that have made this process more successful for everyone:
- Make sure the poultice is not too hot. How does it feel warm and good for you is probably still too hot for the little ones in my experience. I let the poultice to cool for a good 5 to 10 minutes after leaving the pot. should not be uncomfortable or hurt -. That should be warm and comforting for them
- let them pick towel use. In fact, I got a cheap package dishcloths with bright colors, fun to use only onion poultices for girls. It came with 4 towels so I have enough to turn around if I have more than one with a cough and if I have to get 1 or 2 on the laundry.
- Spray some essential oil Lavender or other mixture of essential oil like on top of the poultice you look up so they can smell instead of onion. This cold last we found the house in fact, doused me Calmar child mixture of Plant Therapy, and I really felt that kept things quiet too. I have a small spray bottle with water and about 10 drops of OE in there. Just shake before spraying. You only need a small spray or 2! If they are very sensitive to the smell of onions you can put an extra towel on top of the poultice and then spray.
- Get a distraction going * before * putting the poultice. Get a stack of books next to them so they can read or you can snuggle up to them to read to them. We do not have the TV on all day, but when a child to sit still for 15 minutes or so, put on a program appropriate or music education is not the end of the world in my experience is needed. LeapPads the girl used games as they lay there too.
- One of my daughters liked the idea of making it a “nest” to sit on the floor while she had hers in – a big pile of blankets in the shape of a circle with their teddies favorite (and his big sister with her too!).
- I’m not against a system of rewards for very young. My 5-year-old can understand the importance of sitting for the poultice to work, but last year my 2 and a half years did not. Make 5 minutes or so at a time and get a sticker or something helped move things along without fighting. This year at 3 ½ she understands better and wanted to get a better way to reason with her is much more to do -able.
- Let’s know why One can say that they will help them get dirt out of her chest so they do not become infected and therefore better faster ! It’s amazing what they mean! And how amazing it will not want to do, to do willingly when they know what to expect. And really hot package feels good and is very comforting and warm – once they feel usually my girls are willing to have it on for a while
[ So here it is how to make a simple onion poultice for kids! Please note that if your child is really working with his breathing and things just do not feel good you should go to the emergency room and / or call your doctor.
Print How to make a poultice onion for kids Author: Renee – www.raisinggenerationnourished.com ingredients
- 1 medium, cut onion
- water to cover the bottom of the sauce pan
- put water in the bottom of the pan with the onion and bring to a simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes.
- Strain the extra liquid and put the cooked onion steamed in a thin towel or kitchen towel and fold up. I like to put the horizontal towel and fold the top and bottom along the onion hand, then fold the sides in – how to make a burrito. Her small breasts are so small so make sure the onions in the middle are not spread.
- Let the cold poultice for about 5-10 minutes before applying your child’s chest. My younger cools needs even longer as their tolerance to warm, even in a bath is great for me! Let the poultice sit on your chest up to 20 minutes if they will sit there long enough.
- You can reheat the poultice throughout the day. I like to just put all the poultice back in the pan and heat over low heat. Discard the onion after using it for a day.
and come follow my advice Blogger My herbal ways for the most natural and DIY remedies.