There once was a well-intentioned gardener offered to do some work on our patio. He suggested spraying the yard with Glyphosate “get rid of all the dandelions ugly and weeds to grow a beautiful lawn.
The poor did not understand why he was so adamant that never would glyphosate sprayed on our patio under any circumstances. he insisted that “it really is non-toxic and completely safe, as soon as it dries.”
also had to explain that actually like those called “weeds” in our yard and we used the dandelion in various ways. Our definition of a “good grass” was different from yours!
is it possible to have a beautiful natural grass?
in many places a “good” attractive lawn and means one free of weeds with a lush carpet of uniform green grass. in fact, Americans are so obsessed with attractive lawn is now a multi-million dollar industry.
We spend money to kill plants that are already growing and then plant grass or sod. Substituting natural ground coverings such as clover, plantain and dandelion (which are great for pollinators) with grass without flowers for the sake of appearance.
definitely understand why, and in many neighborhoods HOA, these are the requirements. The good news is that there are many ways to maintain an attractive lawn without harsh chemicals.
make this change can actually save you money! It will also improve the growth of pollinators and reduce the use of chemicals and exposure. a safer turf will also be created for children and pets play!
The problem with grass Chemicals
Many people assume that lawn chemicals are completely harmless, but that is not the case. In fact:
Our love story with lawn comes with a cost. Every year, homeowners United States over 3 million tons of synthetic turf fertilizer and 70 million pounds of pesticides and herbicides are applied lawn. These chemicals pose serious risks to our children, our pets and other animals of all kinds. To make matters worse, it is estimated that 65 percent of these chemicals find their way into our lakes, rivers and underground aquifers.
The Wildlife Federation United States also reports these environmental effects of our practices lawn care:
- The average lawn receives up to 10 times as pesticides and chemical herbicides for commercial cultivation! This means that the grass your kids are running in bare feet probably contains more chemicals than crops of wheat, corn and soybeans commercially sprayed! Obviously, this is not great for pets, either!
- When these chemicals are used as much as 90% of the population of worms on a lawn dies. This is very harmful to the soil over time.
- lawn equipment such as mowers and machines for removing weeds (or weedwackers, depending on where you come from), emit much more waste in the air than cars and trucks.
- 25-60% of residential water use (depending on location) will water the lawn. With droughts in many areas, this is a considerable burden of water.
Natural and Organic Lawn Care Basics
Making the switch from natural lawn care can be one of the cheapest easies and switches that you can do. Surely it is easier to improve things like water in your home or evenoverhauling your meals with meal planning process.
Use these basic steps to create a more natural grass:
Many beautiful lawns are really just nice looking on the surface. Most are used to being fed and watered over irrigation and fertilizers. They do not have a deep root system and can be easily affected by drought or other problems.
When it comes to growing anything, including a lawn, it is good to start from the bottom up. The first soil improvement will give your grass foundation for long-term growth. It will also make the grass stronger and reduce the need for irrigation and chemicals.
Soil testing helps to know what is needed for your lawn. free or low-cost testing ground is available in many county extension office or local garden stores. Find one in your area to get a soil analysis.
If you do not want to soil analysis, just use a shovel to remove a section depth of 6 inches of soil and grass. Healthy soil should be dark and easily crumble and grass must have a strong root system.
If the sample is dry or compacted grass, roots may seem weak and superficial. A dense accumulation of partially decomposed dead roots, stems and organic matter at the base of the grass called straw. Typically, this material is again incorporated into the soil by microorganisms and earthworms. In poor and / or biologically inactive soils, this organic matter accumulates at the soil surface and creates an ideal environment for disease. The straw can be removed by vigorous or by using a tool to perform scarification rasterization. Straw is rarely a fertile soil if it is biologically active problem, and your lawn is maintained in accordance with those recommended for natural lawn care practices.
Good soil for herb also has a pH that is slightly acidic and slightly less than 7.
Better Lawn soil Steps
- In first, air in the spring if necessary to improve soil texture.
- Then, fertilize once a year with compost. This is known as top dressing and is performed by adding up to one inch or topsoil compost and rake in the grass.
- Finally, add pH adjustment if necessary to obtain the optimum pH range.
Choose Yerba Buena
Make an office or care 4-H local expert lawn, what herbs are native to the area. Choose one that is sturdy and does not need a lot of extra water.
Also consider the requirements of sun and shade, the amount of traffic that your lawn receives and the amount of rain the area gets when choosing an herb. The University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences suggests these as times maximum wait between waterings for different types of field:
12-21 Days: Bahia grass, Gass Buffalo, grass Bermuda, the St. Augustine grass, grass centipede
8 to 12 days: carpet of grass, fine fescue, Kikuyu grass, Paspalum sea, tall fescue, Zoysia
5 – 7 days ryegrass, bluegrass Kentucky, Bentgrass
These times are a good measure of an herb that grows well in your area and a useful metric in selecting a grass.
may not love to hear this, but growth over a large area on one level (as a type of grass) is unnatural. This increases the likelihood of disease and nutrient demand.
Add a crop such as white clover to grass to improve the content of nitrogen in the soil and maintain a thick, lush lawn. If you have the ability, converting part of your lawn to a growing area for local wildflowers flowers it is a great way to improve the soil and make happy pollinators.
Steps for choosing Yerba Buena for a lawn
- First, make the soil is ready Insurance
- Study what varieties of grass that grow best in your area
- Choose an herb that corresponds to the conditions patio (shade / sun, etc.) and do not require much watering
- Finally, replant in the fall. Overseeding is spreading 3-4 pounds of grass seed per 1000 feet of lawn. Cutting the grass about 2-2.5 inches before planting for optimal growth
Mow the right way
Most of us over-mow our yards
we believe that shorter is better, but it is not!
It’s much better to cut often, but not so short. Cutting grass under 2 inches can stress the plant and expose the roots. This also causes excess drying and can deplete soil resources more quickly.
Steps to mow the right way:
- Do not cut less than 3 inches
- Mow more often and do not cut more than 1/3 sheet an hour
- not cut when it is too hot or too dry
- Keep sharp blade and set at the highest position
- If you have a small garden, consider using a lawnmower and do some exercise in the process!
lawn irrigation accounts for more than half of residential water consumption in the summer. Using the above steps the amount of water needed will decrease and create a stronger field.
It is also important to constantly water:
Water early in the morning to avoid fungal diseases and reduce evaporation loss, Osborne advised. Deep, infrequent watering grass forces to send roots down into the soil to find moisture and makes it more drought tolerant. The amount of water used varies for each variety of grass and soil type, but about an inch every week from rain or hose-is sufficient to maintain an established lawn.
In other words:
is best to water more deeply and less often for a healthy, beautiful lawn.
Steps Grass water for a good lawn:
- Water less frequently but more deeply
- choose places that are more drought tolerant
- most lawns need about 1 inch per week
- If much rain this fact, there is no need for water
there is really no need for expensive chemical fertilizers. natural fertilizers like manure job just as well!
natural solutions also nourish the soil over time, not only feed the grass top. This creates a strong grass over time.
mineral preparation is a way to do this. Scatter 1/2 inches of compost or natural fertilizer on the grass and rake in. Alternatively, natural fertilizer transmitted after aerating or before watering.
Add the necessary nutrients determined by soil analysis. Your lawn will improve dramatically if the lawn is in need of certain nutrients or a different pH.
Steps to fertilize naturally:
- conveyed a natural fertilizer in the fall or spring
- topdressing with compost or 1/2 inch natural fertilizer and rake in grass
- Use an algae extract as an additional fertilizer
- Focus on soil quality over time rather than a quick
stop weeds without harmful chemicals
This is the hardest part of making naturally, but you can do it!
Did you know that weeds can be an indication that the health of the lawn is not optimal? Improve soil and it will be a long way toward reducing the growth of weeds. Many herbicides are harmful to humans and animals too!
The herbicides used to control or kill lawn weeds usually contain 2,4-D, which has shown toxic effects on the thyroid and gonads and has been linked to the onset of lymphoma Hodgkin. Glyphosate, the active ingredient of Roundup is an endocrine disruptor and is related to the “symmetrical parkinsonian syndrome” and attention deficit / hyperactivity disorder.
Leaving taller grass also helps weed control population leaving a larger room for the grass surface for photosynthesis.
Steps to Reduce Naturally herbs:
- Many weeds are actually herbs with many benefits. Not eliminate them all!
- Leave taller grass so that it will resist weeds naturally
- Add a second plant for your lawn as white clover to compete with weeds and replenish the soil
- Avoid harmful herbicides and the use of natural methods instead
grow a garden spot!
feel very brave?
Ditch the lawn completely and grow a garden instead!
You can grow vegetables, herbs and fruits in your front yard and make it look nice too! Incorporate vegetables and herbs in a garden of the existing bed for easy transition.
all out and turn all his front yard into a flourishing garden. Urban vegetable gardens front yard are becoming very popular. They are a great alternative to a monoculture like grass and get food too!
Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes!
Many homeowner associations do not allow edible gardens in front yards, but you can work the edible plants in your landscape. If you have an urban garden in your front yard, please share how they did it in the comments!
Growing a beautiful lawn naturally: baseline
can cultivate a healthy, beautiful lawn without harmful chemicals!
Choose an herb native to your area. Add a plant complimentary as white clover or wildflowers! Water as needed constantly, but not as often. Natural and add compost to improve soil fertilizer.
The environment, pets and pollinators such as honey bees will thank you!
Source: http://wellnessmama.com/Additional Tags for this post:
who makes lawn devil mowers | lawn devil db6902 parts | lawn devil parts | master craft mower manufacturer |