may be that you have perfect vision, either through Lasik eye surgery or simply because it has always had. Perhaps your glasses or contact lenses fits you well, and you have had any problems with his eyes for a long time. Whatever the case, if you’ve put off getting a vision test for over a year, their eyes may have something to say -. But you never know if you do not receive a complete eye examination
The old saying is that “the eyes are the windows to the soul,” but in a very real sense, the eyes are the window to the rest of his body. Not only allow light so you can see the world around you, but often you can glimpse how the rest of your body is working, not just their eyes. How is it can affect aspects of your life that seem to have nothing to do with sight. For example, children who have vision problems strangers often suffer academically. Because they have no idea what “normal” is the vision, you can only assume that they are less able than others, without knowing the difficulty is all in your view.
Further information: eye floaters no more than digital ebooks
Many believe they or their children have already been getting all eye exams that they need. After all, many schools have nurses or pediatricians who tested the vision of each child on an annual basis. Some doctors examine eyes routinely as part of each checkup. Everyone who has a driver’s license has had to read the table to make sure they can see well enough to drive. Unfortunately, that is not enough.
These simple tests, eye exams called, in fact, may show the need for further testing, but are not a truly comprehensive examination of the view that fully measures the health of your eyes.
A complete eye exam should be given by an optometrist or ophthalmologist – a physician who specializes in eye care. The doctor is not trained to really assess the overall health of your eyes, and studies have shown evidence of view does not always lead to treatment of developing vision problems.
an eye checks exam, of course, for myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism, which usually are corrected by contact lenses, glasses or generally quick surgical procedure. But there is much more what happens in an eye exam that makes necessary for the preservation of their vision and overall health.
- At its best, your eyes work as a team. Both are in the same direction, and focus on the same things. However, sometimes the eyes can be just a little off. You can have a perfectly aligned look, but even a slight difference can cause eyestrain , headaches, and other pain that could never have associated with the eyes.
- Strabismus is a more severe form of misaligned eyes, as when eyes meet. An eye exam can allow your doctor to avoid strabismus, or prevent the most severe amblyopia, which can lead to brain actually closing a deviant, sometimes permanently become eye.
- The ability to focus can change over the years, so that older people often need glasses. These changes occur gradually, sometimes not even notice me come to you without the help of a doctor.
- There are specific eye diseases that are difficult or even impossible to detect in a standard medical examination. A complete eye exam could literally save your vision. Many of these diseases have no symptoms at all until you actually start to lose vision.
- An eye exam can not only save your vision – that can save your life. His eyes have some unique features that are very useful for medical professionals. A good look inside the eye may give some indication of how the rest of your body is doing.
Still need convincing? Here are seven reasons why you should get an eye exam in the next year.
1. The computer vision syndrome
most likely never have heard of computer vision syndrome, also called CVS, but is very real. All you need is two hours a day in front of a computer, and can develop the syndrome itself. That headache suffering after a long day of work could be entirely due to eye strain. Other symptoms include burning eyes, difficulty focusing, dry or painful eyes, blurred or double vision, neck or shoulder pain or sensitivity to light.
If you are suffering from CVS, your ophthalmologist can have everything covered. There glasses especially for those who use computers a lot during the course of the day, which significantly reduced the harmful effects of CVS. All you need is a minor test for a full eye examination to determine whether the use of the computer has had any effect on your eyes.
Recommended reading: 21 tips for eye care for computer users every day
2. Eye diseases
This is a large, even more because many of the major diseases show no symptoms of any kind. We may never know you have a problem until it starts to lose vision, because the main symptoms are all develop at once or develop so gradually that it is easy to overlook until they become too obvious to ignore. Fortunately, most of these eye diseases are treatable, especially if caught early, before they start causing major problems.
- Cataracts is one of those eye diseases that can sneak up slowly stealing distance vision. It is the leading cause of blindness in the world and people over 40 years of age are particularly susceptible. As you age, the lens of the eye can start to cloud, from a small but growing over time. While this condition used to inevitably lead to increasingly poor vision and sometimes blindness, today is relatively easy to correct through surgery, especially if caught before it develops greatly.
- Glaucoma is another eye disease that can be easily treated with early detection and treatment. If left unchecked, it can cause vision loss, including blindness. An important indicator of glaucoma is the fluid pressure inside the eye, which is why ophthalmologists use an instrument that blows a puff of air into the eye for a thorough examination. This excess pressure can damage the optic nerve, causing vision increasingly constrictive tunnel until sight is lost. If detected early, pills or eye drops can relieve glaucoma. In other cases, surgery may be required.
- related macular degeneration with age is the leading cause of blindness in Americans age 65 or older. The macula is the part of the retina, or the back of the eye, allowing your central vision that is sharp enough to read or drive. Sometimes macular tissues may become thinner and start accumulating deposits have overdeveloped materials or blood vessels. Both are forms of macular degeneration that can lead to blind spots in central vision. While there is no cure, so far, if detected and treated early, macular degeneration can be delayed or even backtrack a bit.
Read also: 10 tips to cure headaches eyestrain
3. Important for all ages
the eye diseases are mostly above concern for adults, especially in the face of middle-aged adults and older. That does not mean that younger people are clear of the need for eye exams. The youngest to get your child to an eye exam better. That does not mean absolutely long before old enough to read a chart or even answer questions from a doctor.
One of the tests at birth is an eye exam – a baby for the first time. At first, it is only possible to see if the baby responds to light, but a baby should quickly be able to track moving objects, usually in the first week. After six months or so, an ophthalmologist will be able to determine whether the baby’s eyes are focusing properly, working together as a team, and free of the disease.
should not stop there, of course. Vision problems can have a great effect on the development of the child, especially if undiagnosed and uncorrected. Not only can these problems become larger problems such as lazy eye, but they can prevent a child’s ability to learn and read. Sometimes a child has trouble maintaining good grades can then only need a pair of glasses to read and write (and have more confidence in the classroom)!
4. Protect your eyes, protect your entire body
All ophthalmologist has to do is look deep into his eyes assess their overall health. Often, an eye exam can serve for early detection of diseases we have nothing more to do with the eye, including high blood pressure and diabetes.
Inside the eye is a large number of blood vessels and arteries, and a major nerve, all which can not be seen in any other part of the body without invasive measures. Doctors can use this clear to see signs of difficulties in the future view. These problems often can be detected before symptoms appear important.
A recent study by a company vision benefits declared an ophthalmologist is the first to detect high cholesterol, 65% of the time. This also played a decisive role in a large percentage of patients in the early detection of hypertension and diabetes. This will not only save lives, and vision, but a lot of money.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), loss of vision contributes to a number of conditions, including depression, loss, strokes, accidents, and even premature death hearing . Needless to say, there is also a drop in the quality of life if someone becomes unable to drive or read, or travel at will to new places. A trip to the eye doctor protects a whole lot more than just your vision.
5. A friendly reminder
While you’re sitting there, you have your eyes examined, you definitely talk to your eye doctor. It is a good opportunity to catch up on the latest news about how you can take better care of their eyes . Just as there are ways to care for your heart or your hair recommended, there are good ways to protect and preserve their vision.
Good advice often begins with eating right, just as it does with many other medical problems. Eye good food comes in the form of fish oil, green leafy vegetables and citrus fruits. Your eye doctor may also recommend some good lenses to block UV light, and inform you about the method of eye protection 20-20-20.
The 20-20-20 rule is easy to follow: every 20 minutes from near or team work, a break of at least 20 seconds are taken, looking at something at least 20 feet away. That’s all it takes to avoid all the hassles that can come with eye strain, and is just one of the ways that a little knowledge of an optician can help protect your eyes.
6. Time Your Glasses have a swap
If you wear glasses, and you have used the same pair more than one year, it is quite likely that are fashionable. And if you need corrective lenses, but no glasses, you may want to try a couple and see how they look on you. Today, they are so fashionable, even people with perfect vision will take a couple. By the way, if you are one of those people who are strictly decorative vessels, a trip to the optometrist could well reveal that need a pair of prescription glasses after all.
If you start feeling things like neck strain or headaches – or if you are leaving the view to read or see things at a distance, it’s time to get a pair of glasses. Even if you do not have any of these signs, even if your vision seems to be a sharp as ever, it remains a good idea to get an eye exam for all the reasons discussed above.
Read more: 20 natural remedies for dry eyes trating
7. feel better
While it is important to detect medical problems before they become major problems, there are few better feelings coming out of a medical examination with a certificate of good health, including eye exams. All you need is less than an hour for peace of mind that can last all year, once you know your eyes are working just as they should.
Whether child or more, even if your vision is sharp as a hawk, an examination of the actual and full view that can do much good, if a commodity is physical or mental – or both
About the author
Dr. Cary Silverman MD is a renowned LASIK eye surgeon EyeCare 20/20 , based in East Hanover, New Jersey. He has been featured in several publications, including USA Today, New York Times magazine, Hemispheres, the Star Ledger and the Daily Record. In addition, Dr. Silverman has appeared as a guest in ophthalmologist Health Network. He has participated in several online events, including a transmission TheHealthNetwork.com and a live chat on ABCNews.com.Additional Tags for this post:
compare kroger vision shield to areds 2 | ICD 10 code for computer vision syndrome |