Nothing ruins a day at the beach faster than a bad jellyfish sting. Jellyfish are often found in shallow ocean waters and are difficult to see. When they sting, they leave small poisonous spines called nematocysts on their skin. The nematocysts continue to release venom even after they have been released by the jellyfish into their skin, which can make the stings of the jellyfish ache for several minutes (or hours, in some cases).
Fortunately, it is easy to neutralize the jellyfish poison. Any weak acid will interfere with the chemistry of the stingers of the jellyfish, preventing them from shooting more poison at the skin.
The next time you go to the beach, take a small bottle of vinegar to chop the jellyfish. If you or your child stings, rinse the sting with vinegar to prevent the stings from releasing more venom. Do not rub or freeze the area, as this may push the barbs farther into your skin. Instead of scraping or rubbing, try removing the individual tines with tweezers, using more vinegar if necessary.
. (tagsToTranslate) skin care