Cardamom is an exotic spice of India. Warm, fragrant and mysterious that has a unique and pleasant fragrance. It is inseparable from Indian sweets. It also plays a key role in Indian cuisine. Have you ever wondered if cardamom is all the fragrance and no substance? You literally have to break open the pods to discover the many health benefits it has to offer! What is cardamom and why is it so important? Cardamom come from plants in India and are part of our ancient heritage.
Let’s look at the health benefits. Cardamom is an important factor in cooking dishes from around the world today ingredient.
Types of cardamom:
There are two main types of cardamom based on color, each type has a different flavor personality wise.
1. Green Cardamom:
which is mainly produced in southern India, this variety is composed of fat green pods and is the highest quality available cardamom. It is available in the sheath as well as in powder form. All pod has a good shelf life and can retain the aroma of the seeds.
- Used to flavor savory and sweet dishes.
- This aromatic spice is added to the rich curry and milk-based preparations.
- Tea and coffee are also enriched with cardamom.
- is even used in cakes and spiced breads.
2. Brown Cardamom:
This variety is characterized by pods that are larger in size than green cardamom and have a hairy texture. They resemble small fibrous coconuts.
- Only it used in savory dishes like biryani and curry.
- they are also an essential ingredient in garam masala (mixture of spices).
- The dark brown seeds are known for their medicinal value, especially due to the presence of carbohydrates, protein, moisture, volatile oil, crude fiber, phosphorus, calcium and iron.
- The volatile oil comprising cineol, terpinene, limonene, sabinene and terpineol as formic and acetic acid.
3. ground Cardamom:
This is obtained by grinding using a mortar cardamom cardamom powder to form. It is used as a flavoring in many dishes. It has fewer flavors that whole pods and is readily available in grocery stores.
Health Benefits Cardamom:
Cardamom is a spice antispasmodic that can help you get rid of hiccups. relief from involuntary muscle spasms such as intestinal and stomach cramps are provided.
Cardamom are known to detoxify the body. They are rich in minerals and vitamins such as vitamin A, B, C, niacin, riboflavin, etc. It is a great blood purifier and removes excess urea, calcium and other toxins kidney. This is especially home remedy used later delivery.
Many of phytonutrients, vitamins and essential oils that are present in cardamom act as antioxidants. This spice magical help in cleaning free radicals and tends to resist cellular aging.
Although the true science behind antidepressant qualities of this spice has not been studied yet, Ayurvedic practitioners believe strongly that cardamom tea is a perfect way to combat depression. It has a natural ingredient that tends to detoxify the body and rejuvenate cells that together help in the fight against depression.
5. The flu and cold:
Cardamom is a spice spicy tends to help in the prevention and relief of symptoms of colds and flu. Cardamom is a good home remedy for colds and flu. Only cardamom tea, consuming and headache and cold is gone in an instant.
People who have infections consume cardamom is known to prevent infections due to its therapeutic properties. Different cardamom essential oils inhibit the growth of bacteria, virus, mold and mildew.
7. Bad breath / oral health:
Cardamom is a cure for bad breath. Apart from its trait that helps cure bad breath, cardamom is also used for mouth ulcers and infections of the mouth. Chewing a few cardamom seeds and solve your problem breath (halitosis).
Cardamom is considered to be highly beneficial for asthma patients. It also acts as a natural remedy for whooping cough and bronchitis.
9. Improves appetite:
Add some ground cardamom your curry or chewing some seeds to increase appetite.
10. Relieves Digestive problems:
Cardamom seeds are the best solution for the problems of indigestion, belching and flatulence. Cardamom helps to improve digestion of food.
For those who suffer from hypertension, it is time to consume cardamom on a regular basis as this species has the ability to improve blood circulation to the lungs. This helps to reduce blood pressure.
Skin Benefits Cardamom:
In addition to its application in food and drink, this aromatic spice is also used in cosmetics to impart their fragrance. Cardamom oil, extracted from seeds of cardamom, has a warm, spicy scent and large therapeutic effects. Some of the benefits of cardamom skin care are as follows.
12. Improves Complexion:
One of the benefits of cardamom is that can provide you with clear skin. cardamom essential oil helps in removing stains, which gives you a fairer complexion.
13. Improves blood circulation:
cardamom contains vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant. Improves blood circulation throughout the body, thus improving the flexibility of the skin as well.
14. The treatment of skin allergy:
Black cardamom has antibacterial properties. It can be used as an antiseptic for the treatment of skin allergies.
15. Teaches Fragrance:
cardamom is often used in cosmetics to impart fragrance. Due to its distinct spicy, sweet aroma, both cardamom and cardamom oil used in perfumes, soaps, bath gel, powders and other cosmetics. Oriental style perfume and other scented products as an ingredient often used cardamom and other essential oils.
16. Therapeutic Properties:
cardamom can be mixed in skin care products with antiseptic and anti-inflammatory to soothe and soften the skin, thanks to its therapeutic effects purposes. When added to perfumes, you can stimulate the senses. Cardamom facial soaps used to impart a feeling of warmth in the cosmetics used for therapeutic reasons skin.These cardamom are known as aromatherapy products.
17. Great masking agent
The strong aroma of cardamom can avoid unpleasant odors. This makes it a great addition to cosmetic products such as toners performing a specific function, but with unpleasant odor due to the inclusion of certain ingredients. Cardamom is added to these products to mask the unpleasant odor while retaining the benefit of cosmetics.
18. Lip Care
The essential oil
cardamom is often added to cosmetics applied to the lips, lip balms as to impart the flavor of the oil and make it smooth.
19. Fair skin:
black cardamom help in flushing toxins, free radicals and dangerous fluids those are harmful to the body, including the skin. Therefore, chewing a little black cardamom detoxifies your body, giving you a clearer skin.
cardamom hair Benefits:
We all long for the long, shiny hair. Like the rest of our body, our hair follicles require adequate supply of nutrients for optimal growth and maintenance. Cardamom can be beneficial to the hair follows.
20. Nourish the scalp:
black cardamom has anti-oxidant properties that provide nourishment to the follicles of the scalp and hair.
21. scalp treatment infections:
Cardamom have antibacterial properties that prevent scalp infections and irritation.
22. Hair Health:
Cardamom helps in strengthening the roots, which helps to get strong hair. It is also known to provide shine and luster to the hair.
How to select and store?
Selection :. Both the soil and loose cardamom seeds are available in the spice section of the supermarket, while the pods are available in specialty stores
- When buying cardamom, always prefer the green as it has a complex flavor that is suitable for both sweet and savory dishes. Moreover, whole cardamom pods should be chosen on the ground. Look for small football-shaped pods that have a green tint. They should smell like a combination of pine and flowers.
Cardamom is an expensive spice and other spices are added and often ground cardamom to reduce the cost. The opening of the capsules or grinding the seeds results in rapid loss of flavor and aroma of cardamom due to rapid loss of essential oils.
- The best way is to store cardamom pods shaped because once the seeds are exposed or ground, they lose their flavor and aroma quickly.
- cardamom pods can last up to one year when stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- dry cardamom capsules should be stored in moisture-proof containers away from direct sunlight.
- For bulk storage in long-term basis, the pods should be coated polyethylene jute sacks inside wooden boxes. This will preserve the green color of the pods. Before placing the capsule in jute bags for storage, make sure they are completely dry. Any moisture in the bag will make them rot. On the other hand, they should be inspected regularly for signs of moisture or deterioration.
- The storage room should be dark, dry, clean, fresh and free of pests.